Here is an overview of the careers programme taking place at St Martins School and Horizons Sixth Form– 2018/2019:
- Extensive work experience programme embedded into students’ weekly timetables, extended over each term – accredited through Princes Trust units within Horizons.
- St Martins work experience programme will run for Years 10/11 from Spring term, placements are individualised and generally over a week.
- Employability and Enterprise sessions accredited through Princes Trust as part of the SHAPE your future curriculum within Horizons.
- Employability and Enterprise sessions accredited through Aim Awards including IAG sessions embedded in St Martins SHAPE curriculum.
- Vocational offsite placements for all Horizons students one day a week – Catering, Animal Care, Engineering, Painting and Decorating, Construction, Hair and Beauty, Digital Photography, Duke of Edinburgh – Silver award.
- Employer visits to set of 5 separate sectors – to be confirmed, including pre-visit with employer representative and feedback session.
- Job Centre Plus representative to work with Year 11 and Year 13s on employability.
- Student enterprise business, Gallery 5 Printing, based in the Guildhall Market – all students are interviewed at the beginning of the year for the different roles.
- Careers talks each term, various sectors from ‘Inspiring The Future’.
- The ‘YES Programme’ to deliver sessions linking functional skills to everyday working life at Horizons.
- Enterprise day and Careers day for Whole school mid July, working with business partners and employability specialists.
- Career Local funded sessions for Year 11 and 13s through the DEBP.
Measuring and assessing impact of careers programme –
We monitor data with 3 assessment rounds across the year, tracking progress through accreditations directly linked to IAG/employability curriculum.
We monitor and publish destination data with a focus on employability and educational pathways.
Performance management objectives for staff directly linked to employability, enterprise, IAG and work experience programme.
The next review of the St Martins/Horizons sixth form careers programme and policy development will be Autumn 2018.
Details of careers programme can be accessed by contacting the School Careers Lead, through the school/Horizons website, via online student blogs, parent consultation meetings and annual reviews.
Careers Lead: Joe Johnson – firstname.lastname@example.org – 01332 290419
Enterprise Adviser: Paddy Stanley