Here is an overview of the careers programme taking place at Horizons, our Sixth Form this academic year – 2017/2018:
- Extensive work experience programme embedded into students weekly timetables, extended over each term – accredited through Princes Trust units.
- ‘World of Work’ employability sessions every Monday (all day) for Year 13s.
- Vocational offsite placements for all students one day a week – Catering, Painting and Decorating, Construction, Hair and Beauty.
- Employer visits to B&Q, Royal Hospital, Holiday Inn, Dennis Lawnmowers, Pets at Home, Cats Protection, Derby Theatre, Swadlincote Garden Centre, The Quad and Akaal Primary Pchool construction site (KIER).
- Employability sessions on Fridays throughout the year for Year 12s, with ‘Job Centre Plus’ school representative.
- Student enterprise business, Gallery 5 printing, based in the Guildhall market – all students are interviewed at the beginning of the year for the different roles.
- VIY project, working with tools to develop skills and create items for our provision.
- Careers talks each term, various sectors from ‘Inspiring The Future’.
- The ‘YES Programme’ to deliver sessions linking functional skills to everyday working life.
- IAG sessions for year 13s through the DEBP.